A watch is not only a device that allows its users to keep track of time. It becomes a part of the wearer’s personality. That is why choosing the right watch is a very complicated process.
As a rule, most people are searching for an attractive model with solid functionality, and this makes the choice even harder. Numerous brands offer hundreds of overwhelming models and unique collections, but this doesn’t facilitate the sorting out.
This post reviews the top 16 men’s automatic watches that integrate both a gorgeous appearance and outstanding functionality. The tremendous work has been done with many hours spent to compile this extended survey and present the selection of the best products. The recommendations that supplement the review will help the readers make the right shopping decision and select the ideal timepiece that will become their daily companion.
Top Affordable Automatic Watches for Men
Orient Mechanical Classic Watch (AC00009N)
Orient has more than 65 years of experience in making mechanical watches. Released in 2016, this timepiece remains a timeless classic performed in pastel colors. It features a sophisticated design and belongs to the second generation of the Bambino Version 2 collection.
The watch is driven by an automatic movement made in Japan. It requires no hand-winding and reserves power for 40 hours.
The device has a 40.5 mm stainless steel housing with a beige dial covered by a domed mineral crystal. This vintage-looking curvature reminds a ship’s window. The dial is round and has Roman numbers. It also includes a date window instead of the 3 o’clock numeral. There are 3 blue hands, which are a nice contrast to the dial.
The watch supports water resistance of 100 ft and can withstand occasional water splashes.
The 21 mm strap is made of brown crocodile-textured leather with a buckle clasp. The guarantee period is 1 year from the purchase date.
- An elegant design
- With the price tag under 200 dollars, the device is inexpensive for its phenomenal quality
- The movement is very accurate
- A comfortable strap
- Not suitable for bathing and swimming
- The domed lens can be easily damaged
Seiko Watch (SKX009K2) Review
This automatic watch was released by Seiko in 2017 as a part of its diver’s collection. It features an oval dial and a two-tone (blue/red) unidirectional rotating bezel. Its analog display is dark blue with luminous hour marks and hands. This bright design makes the watch face eye-catching.
The device sports a day and date display instead of the 3 o’clock numeral. Its 42 mm dial is made of polished stainless steel and covered by a Hardlex crystal.
The 22 mm bracelet is manufactured of stainless steel with a silver finish and includes 5 links. The construction has a fold-over clasp that features a safety closure.
This is a good model to possess under 300 dollars. It is battery-free and powered by the wrist motion. It is waterproof down to 660 ft.
- The strap is interchangeable
- The luminous hands allow a wearer to see the time even in dark conditions
- Has a steady construction and feels solid
- Keeps precise time
- Suitable for all occasions
- Works without a battery
- The “Pepsi” colored bezel is bright and attracts attention
- Some customers complain that the bracelet looks cheap and flimsy
Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 (WAY201A.BA0927)
Aquaracer is a 2011 model that features amazing characteristics. It is known as a dive-style timepiece with a sleek design.
The device is automatic and both water- and shock-resistant. Its 43 mm case is round and made of brushed stainless steel. Its face is black and features a black rotating bezel and 3 white hands. Its unidirectional bezel is manufactured of ceramic.
All hands and hour marks are rhodium-plated and luminescent. The hand for seconds has a yellow accent on its end.
The sapphire crystal protection caps the watch face. The 20 mm stainless steel strap comes with a deployment buckle.
- The dial window can withstand scratches
- A simple and elegant design
- Water-friendly to 1000 ft
- The everlasting mechanism and construction
- The bracelet can be adjusted to the wearer’s wrist and has a diving extension
- The back side of the watch has sharp edges
- Expensive (with the price tag under 3000 dollars)
Seiko Watch (SARB017) Review
This model from Seiko released in 2006 remains a popular device among watch experts thanks to its classic design that integrates two colors: an emerald green dial and a brown strap. The gold-tone numerals and hands play nicely against the green background. This magnificent combination of shades looks very attractive. In addition, the cathedral hands and hour marks are luminescent.
The timepiece is driven by an automatic movement.
Its stainless steel housing is 39.5 mm in diameter and has a round analog display with 3 hands. The dial features a sapphire crystal protection and an inner compass ring that rotates. The users can operate it via the second crown against the 4 o’clock numeral. The date calendar occupies the position instead of the 3 o’clock numeral.
The strap is made of calfskin leather that is crocodile-patterned. It is 20 mm wide and includes a buckle clasp.
This is an awesome timepiece to buy with the price tag under 500 dollars.
- An appealing design
- The compass is a nice bonus for adventurous wearers
- The luminescent dots are bright enough to tell the time in the darkness
- Equipped with the Seiko shock-absorption system
- The dial window prevents scratches
- Both automatic and manual winding capabilities
- The crystal cover is not anti-reflective
- The strap is stiff and looks cheap, but it can be replaced with another bracelet
Victorinox Airboss Mechanical Watch (241820)
Headquartered in Switzerland, Victorinox is known as a manufacturer of unique and quality products, such as army knives, cutlery, travel gear, watches, and many others. The Airboss watch is engineered in honor of courageous aviators and incorporates the precision and reliability of actual aviator watches.
It has a 42 mm housing of stainless steel performed in blue and features an analog display. Due to its clean and sharp lines, the face of the watch is easy to read. The red accents on the display make the device stylish and give a fantastic contrast to white sword-shaped hands and a blue nylon band with red stitching. The bracelet is 22 mm wide and has a deployment buckle closure. The hands and numerals are luminescent.
This timepiece has a rotating bezel, and its dial is protected by a triple-coated sapphire crystal. The date calendar occupies the position instead of the 3 o’clock numeral.
Since 2019, the warranty period for all Victorinox watches has been extended to 5 years.
- Swiss accuracy and functionality
- An elegant design
- The watch is aqua-resistant to 330 ft
- A scratch-resistant display window
- The Super-LumiNova technology makes readability in the dark effortless
- The military time number at the 6 o’clock position (red #18) covers the date and makes it difficult to read
Marathon Search & Rescue Medium Diver’s Automatic – 36mm (WW194026BRACE)
This Swiss-made mechanical watch has been designed to be used by military personnel in search and rescue missions at sea. It can be employed for diving and is resistant to 1000 ft underwater.
The device is built to the government standards, but it has a smaller size (36 mm in diameter) in a Marathon’s line. It is made for wearers who prefer a reduced format.
The watch is made of surgical grade stainless steel and features a sapphire window to ensure the utmost protection. It has a date calendar at the 4.30 o’clock position.
The 18 mm bracelet is also developed of stainless steel, but this doesn’t make the watch heavyweight.
The timepiece uses self-illuminating gas tubes filled with an isotope of hydrogen placed on each hand and hour marks. It allows them to glow in the darkness even without external light sources. The lifespan of these tubes is up to 25 years.
The watch is backed by a 2-year warranty.
- A certified dive watch
- Comes engraved with a serial number that makes it exclusive
- The mechanism is self-winding
- The stainless steel prevents corrosion
- The encapsulated tritium glows in the dark
- The bracelet can be interchanged by a rubber/leather one (genuine from Marathon)
- The thickness of the watch (13 mm) looks weird compared to its smaller diameter
- Expensive (with the price tag under 2000 dollars)
Invicta Pro Diver (8928OB) Review
This two-tone model from Invicta is very bright and eye-catching. The automatic watch features a 40 mm round case manufactured of stainless steel with an electric blue face and a gold-tone corrugated bezel.
The gold-plated hour marks and hands are luminous. There is a date indication instead of the 3 o’clock numeral that has a magnified cover. The display is protected by a mineral crystal window.
The 3 hands are worth mentioning due to their distinction. They are designed in sword, Mercedes, and Breguet-style shapes.
The 20 mm bracelet is made of silver stainless steel with gold-tone center links. It is equipped with a fold-over clasp.
Pro Driver has a standard Invicta 3-year warranty. This is a perfect model to buy under 100 dollars.
- The unusual design and color selection
- A budget model
- The date display is easy to read
- Water-friendly to 660 ft
- The transparent back case allows a wearer to see the watch mechanism
- Requires no battery
- The dial cover is not scratch-resistant
- Due to a similar design, it looks like a copy of Submarine from Rolex
Frederique Classics Automatic Watch (FC-303MC4P5)
Manufactured by Frederique Constant in Geneva, this mechanical watch is a classic model with genuine Swiss quality. The company’s philosophy is to produce luxurious watches at affordable prices.
This 2011 model has a round stainless steel housing of 40 mm in diameter plated with gold. Its silver dial features black Roman numerals, 3 black hands, and a date window instead of the 3 o’clock numeral. The ribbed dial is capped with a sapphire crystal cover.
It comes with a 22 mm brown leather bracelet textured as a crocodile skin with a pin buckle.
The device is rated aqua-resistant to 200 ft and backed by a 2-year warranty.
- Includes the anti-shock system
- Has an elegant design
- Thanks to the Swiss mechanism, it keeps time very well
- The automatic movement requires no hand-winding
- A strong dial cover that withstands scratches
- Comes with a leather band that looks cheap
Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 Watch (CAR2A11.BA0799)
This is a luxurious stainless steel timepiece launched by Tag Heuer in 2016. This mechanical watch features a round 43 mm case with an anthracite analog display and 3 chronograph sub-dials. The rhodium-plated indices, as well as its 3 hands, are performed in white.
Next to the 3 o’clock numeral, there is a date window. It is framed by both ceramic and steel bezel that is fixed and contains a tachymeter scale. Three massive crowns add a specific touch to this solid device.
The sapphire window protects both the display and the back case of the watch. The 20 mm bracelet is also manufactured of stainless steel and comes with a fold-over clasp.
The device is aqua-resistant to 330 ft and has a 2-year warranty.
- A gorgeous polished stainless steel construction
- A sapphire window with anti-reflective treatment
- A fast date correction
- The bracelet can be adjusted
- The hands are luminescent
- A heavy item
- Very expensive
Bulova Watch (96A135) Review
Bulova is an American watch brand founded by a Czech immigrant in New York and turned into a prosperous company known for producing unique timepieces with various technological innovations.
This mechanical watch was first introduced in 2012. The model features a round 41 mm housing of stainless steel with a patterned gray and black analog display, 2 sub-dials, and white Roman numerals. Both the hands and hour marks are luminous.
The display is encased in a metalized crystal, which is domed on the inside. The mechanism is visible through an exhibition back case.
The device includes a 22 mm black leather band with a secure double-press deployment buckle.
The watch is aqua-resistant to 99 ft. It is released with a 3-year warranty period.
- Requires no battery and is powered by the arm motion of the wearer
- A stylish model with a piece of history behind
- The device is versatile and suitable for any occasion
- A reasonable price for quality performance
- Has no calendar
- The leather band has a metal bracelet-type clasp that is confusing and not quite comfortable to latch
Stührling Original Skeleton Watch (3920.3)
This mechanical watch is a new model in the Legacy collection released by Stührling Original in 2019. It has a mesmerizing appearance due to its transparent skeletonized dial and a see-through back case. This allows the users to see the mechanism working inside.
The timepiece has a 46 mm round-shaped analog display, which is engraved and keeps track of 2 time zones. It features a large functional GMT dial and a sub-dial with the second time zone.
The AM/PM indicator is animated and looks very stunning. The diamond-like crystals are mounted on each hour mark. Its case is protected by a Krysterna crystal on both sides of the watch. The diamond-shaped crown is placed on the top of the watch.
Its 21 mm black strap is made of calfskin leather. It is alligator embossed and comes with a steel tang buckle. The 2-year warranty is provided for the device.
- Requires no hand-winding and keeps running for as long as a user wears it
- Aqua-friendly to 165 ft
- Comes nicely packed with a cleaning cloth, a care card, and other welcome bonuses
- The band is very comfortable
- An awesome design
- The position of the watch crown is not comfortable and makes it difficult to wind
- The pins that connect the band with the watch are flimsy
Tissot Classic Watch (T0854071105100)
A classic watch from a legendary company! This 2013 model from Tissot is performed totally of stainless steel and looks very stylish. It has a round 40 mm case with a black face, 3 silver-tone hour marks and hands. The 3 o’clock position features a rectangular date calendar. The analog display is capped with a durable sapphire crystal.
Its back case is transparent and exhibits the working mechanism.
The 20 mm bracelet is also manufactured of stainless steel and equipped with a deployment buckle. The company provides a 2-year warranty for this model.
- A strong and anti-reflective dial cover
- A powerful Swiss-made mechanism
- Water-friendly to 100 ft
- An automatic movement
- An overall stainless steel structure withstands corrosion
- No luminous indicators
Hamilton Khaki Field Auto (H70555533)
This is a 2011 model from the Khaki Field collection released by Hamilton, the U.S. watch company established in 1892. It is well known as a movie brand because many of its watches have starring roles in Hollywood.
The timepiece under discussion coincides with both “an American spirit and Swiss precision.” It features a 42 mm stainless steel housing with white Arabic numerals and 3 hands that are also luminous. Its black dial is round and covered by a slightly domed sapphire window. The date display is instead of the 3 o’clock numeral.
The 22 mm brown strap is decorated with a contrast white stitching. It is made of cow skin and includes a pin buckle.
The device is rated aqua-resistant to 330 ft and is backed by a 2-year warranty.
- The back case has a clear display to see the internal mechanism
- Excellent craftsmanship
- The hand for seconds has a red tip, which adds a hint of contrast
- Suitable for casual and formal outfits
- A sleek design
- The bezel of stainless steel is polished to such an extent that it attracts scratches
- The crown seems too big
- The strap may be short for larger wrists
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M Golf Edition (18.104.22.168.02.004)
This model from Omega represents a tribute to maritime heritage. Its dial is designed as the wooden decks of a sailboat.
Its case diameter is 41.5 mm. Dressed in a stainless steel housing, it features a silver analog dial with luminous hour marks and 3 hands. The faceted minute and hour hands are blue, and the hand for seconds is white. The date display is instead of the 3 o’clock numeral.
The back case, as well as the watch display, is transparent and covered by a domed window of a sapphire crystal. The red elements complement the overall design.
The 18 mm stainless steel bracelet is very elegant and comes with a deployment clasp with a push button.
The model is water-friendly to 500 ft and has a 5-year warranty.
- Resistant to magnetic fields
- Comes with the manufacturer’s serial number
- An elegant appearance
- Keeps good time
Orient Mechanical Sports Watch (AA02003B)
This is one of the best-selling Orient sports watches. This mechanical device has a 41.5 mm stainless steel case performed in dark grey with a black analog display, visible white hour markers, and silver hands. The unidirectional rotating bezel features enlarged numbers for simple time tracking. The date and day calendar holds a traditional position instead of the 3 o’clock numeral.
The face is encased in a mineral crystal. The internal Japanese-made mechanism is visible through a transparent skeleton back case.
Its stainless steel 21 mm bracelet includes a fold-over clasp with a double push button.
This dive watch ensures the best value for money.
- Suitable for marine activities
- The luminous accents are bright
- Rated aqua-resistant to 660 ft
- An affordable price
- A slim design
- The face window is prone to scratches
- The crown is hard to unscrew
- The grip surface of the bezel is small and not convenient to rotate
Citizen Eco-Drive Chronograph Watch (AT4010-50E)
This fantastic dive watch features a black tachymeter top ring and a black face with 3 chronograph sub-dials. The 42 mm black case is manufactured of ion-plated titanium and has a sapphire dial protection. There is also a perpetual calendar on the dial.
The watch includes a quartz movement made in Japan and provides atomic timekeeping. It integrates a number of extra features, for example, an alarm, a power reserve indicator, and others.
The timepiece is made in accordance with eco-friendly technologies. It charges using natural or artificial light and converting it into energy. It doesn’t require other power sources.
The watch can be used for surface water sports and professional marine activities. It is radio-controlled and adjusts the time automatically in 5 time zones.
It comes with a 24 mm titanium bracelet. This silver-tone band is equipped with a fold-over clasp that features a hidden double push button.
The model is backed by a 5-year warranty.
- Super accurate thanks to its synchronizing to the atomic clock
- A revolutionary model that needs no battery
- Water-friendly to 660 ft
- Made of titanium, the watch is very durable
- The occasional scratches left on titanium are easier to remove
- A scratch-resistant face window
- Not suitable for scuba diving
- The atomic radio works only if the timepiece is hanging vertically
The most frequently asked questions from customers and the expert answers have been assembled here to give the readers more information about automatic watches. With more specific questions, please address the authorized service centers in your area.
What Is an Automatic Movement Watch?
An automatic movement watch (also called a self-winding) is a mechanical timepiece that requires no manual winding because its mainspring is wound automatically due to the natural arm ? movements.
How Does an Automatic Watch Work?
The motion of the user’s arm provides energy ? to run an automatic watch, but its mainspring requires a power reserve for the proper functioning. Primarily, the watch has to be wound manually before it will run on its own. This process is called an initiation because the user initiates this power reserve.
How to Use Automatic Watch?
The winding crown should be turned in a clockwise ? direction for 10-20 revolutions (the number depends on the watch). This is sufficient for the initiation process. After that, the device will wind itself automatically with the help of an oscillation weight that shifts when the position of the watch is changed by the motion of the wearer’s arm.
How Often Will I Wear Automatic Watch?
An automatic watch ⌚ should be worn for a minimum of 8 hours a day to replenish its power reserve. If the device has been off the wrist for 15 hours, repeat the initiation process once again.
This selection of watches includes various models for any budget and taste. These world-known brands develop a wide range of timepieces to serve any customer. Men are free to choose the type of case, bracelet, and driven mechanism up to their wishes.
In past decades, watchmaking has greatly improved, and innovations have tickled to every segment. So, even affordable timepieces reviewed here are built to last and use high-grade materials and reliable mechanisms. They are super-styled and multifunctional, so the readers can choose a favorite with no fear of getting a low-quality product.